Wednesday 15 November 2023
Monday 13 November 2023
Wednesday 8 November 2023
Friday 3 November 2023
Wednesday 1 November 2023
Thursday 19 October 2023
This poor-quality WiP photo is of Regiment Vierzet, a Walloon unit from the Liege area that will be part of my 1670's French army. The uniform colour is "morte feuille" or "dead leaves". The flags are from Not by Appointment blog, and the minis are 1672 Swiss with Warfare officers, painted by Richard O'Connor. I'll take a much better photo when they are fully based. I expect to have enough minis based to play a modest game using modified "For King and Parliament" rules, in the spring.
Friday 13 October 2023
Tuesday 10 October 2023
I've just come back from a late summer holiday and am struggling to get back into the saddle. I've caught up on the orders and am working though my emails, should be on top of them, soon. On Saturday we have a tournament on the day before SELWG and there are a few I's to dot for that, too.
In the evenings I'm doing some c.17th modelling, for a bit of relaxation. Above is a unit of 1672 French Listenois dragoons, painted by Chris Campion and Richard O'Connor. I'm getting them ready for basing, perhaps as soon as tonight. I love the yellow justacorps and blue facings.
Below are some Flags of War standards for the ECW Strathbogie Regiment, and also the Scottish Royal standard. Strathbogie, which chum Redzed is painting, will be on the cover of an FK&P scenario books we intend to publish shortly.
Wednesday 27 September 2023
- We have TWO FREE PLACES for the annual TtS! Open tournament in Edmonton, North London, on Saturday 14th October, the day before the SELWG event. If you think you might be able to come, please email me ASAP at the address to the left, and I'll book you in. It's the day before the SELWG show and the tickets will get you into that, too.
- There will be a TtS! get-together at the Games Bunker in Weston Super Mare on Saturday, 28th October 2023. This event is especially appropriate for new players, and emphasises fun over competition. You can book tickets here: https://www.thegamesbunker.co.uk/events/to-the-strongest-a-call-to-arms/
- There will be a TtS! tournament at Warfare in Farnborough on Saturday 11th November. You can book tickets here: https://wargamesreading.co.uk/product/tts/
Tuesday 19 September 2023
- We still have spare tables for the annual TtS! Open tournament in Edmonton, North London, on Saturday 13th October. If you think you might like to come, please email me and I'll put you in touch with the player who had to withdraw who can sell you his ticket.
- There is a TtS! get-together at the Games Bunker in Weston Super Mare on Saturday, 28 October 2023. This event is especially appropriate for new players, and emphasises fun over competition. You can book tickets here: https://www.thegamesbunker.co.uk/events/to-the-strongest-a-call-to-arms/
- There is a TtS! tournament at Warfare in Farnborough on Saturday 11th November. You can book tickets here: https://wargamesreading.co.uk/product/tts/
- Lastly, our final event of the year, we have Two The Strongest!, our first ever doubles tournament, in Central London in November. This will be a cracking way to round the year off, not particularly competitive, all day bar, prizes and drinks afterwards. If you need a player to accompany you, we should be ale to identify one. You can buy tickets here: https://www.meetup.com/the-london-warhammer-gaming-guild/events/295928568/
Sunday 10 September 2023
Yesterday we ran Second Mantinaea at Colours. Is was great to see to many friends and meet so many gamers who enjoy To the Strongest! Thanks very much to those who helped (especially Ian, Colin and Andy) and to everyone who played, or stopped by for a chat. It was a really super show and I spent far more than I should have. :-) Hot, though, so very, very hot. A big shout out to chum Andrew who couldn't come because he's had a brush with Covid, hope he's better soon.
While I was away though, Sharp Practice has been pulling ahead of TtS! in the Yarkshire Wargames Rules tournament on Facebook. If you've still not voted, could you give us a plug please? At the time of writing, the gap is around 55 votes, still surprisingly close, and I think we might yet be able to catch them! If not, we can go down, fighting gloriously, like Leonidas at Thermopylae. :-)
Thursday 7 September 2023
I've latest version of the Medieval Army List eBook and latest news (at the bottom). This 150-list, 293 page edition now includes six new lists:
- Rshtuni Armenian
- Bagratid Armenian
- Tulunid/Iqshidid Egyptian
- Daylamite Dynasties
- Bulgar (moved from the Ancient eBook)
- Early Byzantine (moved from the Ancient eBook)
The next Ancient Army List eBook will come out at the end of October and will be a Late Antiquity Special, with several new Late Antiquity Germanic lists and a lot of additional material added to the Gothic, Ostrogothic, Saxon, Frankish and Vandal lists.
We have a very busy Q4 ahead, positively bursting with TtS! Events:
- At Colours in Newbury on Saturday I'll be running Second Mantinaea- please drop by and say hello, or even come and join in! We are upstairs near the B&B.
- On Monday evening I'll be on the Plastic Crack Podcast, no doubt explaining why Renaissance isn't finished. :-/
- On September 16th we have the Chalgrove tournament- good luck to all the players!
- Also on September 16th (diary clash!), I'll be talking about the location of the Battle of Ceresole, 1544 at the Helion Tudor Warfare conference in Birmingham.
- We have a spare table for the annual TtS! Open tournament in Edmonton, North London, on Saturday 13th October. If you think you might like to come, please email me and I'll put you in touch with the player who had to withdraw.
- Tickets have just gone on sale for Two The Strongest!, our first ever doubles tournament, in Central London in November. This We have a limited number of tables so I recommend early booking!
Last but not least, some of you must have already encountered Yarkshire Gamer's World Cup of Historical Wargames Rules on Facebook. For King and Parliament fell (after a valiant fight) in the Quarter finals, thankd for all your votes. Astonishingly, To the Strongest! will shortly be pitted against Sharp Practice in the semi finals! Sharp Practice is a very popular (and by all accounts a very good) set of rules, and TtS! will need every vote that it can get to remain in contention... so please help us with a vote when it goes live.
Thursday 31 August 2023
I'm close to finishing a couple of units of dismounted later knights (above) that, most unusually, I mostly painted myself. They are intended to be generic men-at-arms for those tricky moments when a unit of later knights is better off on foot (perhaps when there are nellies about!). The unit I fielded at Britcon performed rather well; in one game, cutting its way right through the heart of the enemy army.
These are all Perry plastics, with some slight conversions. The original figures I painted were a bit too "shiny" and well armoured, so I've mixed in a bunch of scruffier chaps in brigandines and riding boots with a selection of weapons including pole-arms and a few bows. I'll take a proper photo when they are flocked and bannered. For the banners- I'm thinking Wars of the Roses. Something heavily folded so one can't make it out particularly well, so it fits the generic concept. :-)
PS To the Strongest! and FK&P are both currently up for voting in the Yarkshire World Cup on Facebook- both votes ,are too close to call, at the time of writing. If you'd like to vote for either (or, indeed, for their opponents) you can find them here (TtS!) or here (FK&P).
Wednesday 30 August 2023
Over on the Yarkshire World Cup of Wargames Rules poll, the King is in danger! Our FK&P rules are currently trailing a tantalising 40 or so votes behind the popular "O" Group rules, with only a little over a day to go. Can you help to save the King? If you've not yet voted, please vote here. Ask your friends to vote, too, please! If we make it though this round, I'll co-write another free scenario with Andrew Brentnall, and perhaps even take it to Salute!
Tuesday 29 August 2023
- One 25/28mm army, of 135 points value
- Markers to show the ammunition each unit has (eg. a unit of with bows has 3 arrows) - several D6 will do (you don’t need any dice to play the game)
- Markers to show disorder
- Markers or miniatures to show Heroes (most armies will have 2-5 heroes available in the army list), individually based heroic looking figures look good but a counter will suffice
- Tokens or coins to represent how many victory medals your army has (up to 15 usually)
- A scenic piece to represent your camp
- Two decks of ordinary playing cards (remove the jacks, queens, kings and jokers into a separate pile, shuffle the remaining 80 cards well)
- If you are able to bring a 6x4 Mat marked out with a 150cm square grid, could you please contact us to let us know. Please ensure it has your name on it somewhere or is easily identifiable.
Monday 21 August 2023
I recently posted some photos of one of my games at Britcon, here are some more. This game was against Robert Avery's veteran Imperial Romans; veteran because most of them were, but also because many of them were Minifigs! Above, I threw my army forwards whilst Robert tried to turn my left and threaten the camp.
Saturday 19 August 2023
Thursday 17 August 2023
...a headline that promises much but delivers, little. ;-)
I've been sculpting more riding boots on some coustillier-types to accompany my dismounted knights of recent posts. I'm getting a little faster on the sculpting, and a little better, too. This is just as well because I'll likely need quite a few, later on, when I tackle the Burgundian mounted archers. I've also discovered that liquid greenstuff is quite good for building up the legs of the boot.
Ultimately I covet this unit of Charles the Bold's. I think it would be great fun to model, and might be pretty good on the gaming table; dismounted knights with 2HCCW, extra longbows, extra stakes, veteran. Want 'em! Not cheap, points-wise, though.
In other news... For King and Parliament is storming through the Yarkshire Gamer World Cup of Wargames Rules. There is still time to vote; hopefully it'll make it through to Round Three and looks likely to be matched against "O" Group in the semi-finals.
Tuesday 15 August 2023
We had an absolute blast this weekend at Britcon. I cannot praise this event enough- the venue is superb, Sid does a great job at organising the tournament, and I enjoy Nottingham. The games were very friendly and there was enough tome to see most to a conclusion, and some of the armies were really beautiful. There were trade stands, too! I attach some photos, below. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Before the photos though, the next round of the Yarkshire Gamer World Cup of Wargames Rules has begun, and For King and Parliament is up against Grand Manner, it's most serious opponent so far. It's very tight- just one vote in it- so any support for our niche period set with its hard to read font and renaissance woodcuts would be very greatly appreciated! You can vote here.
Here are some photos of my first game of the tournament, proper.
Saturday 12 August 2023
Robert out-scouted me, and here is the view from behind his line. I was pretty despondent at this stage, because my camp (top left) was only lightly defended and my left wing had no one to fight!