Wednesday 9 August 2023

Late knights IV - Kinky Boots!


Last night I finished a third base (centre) from spare minis and repaints from the "reserves". I sculpted riding boots on a couple of minis in brigandines, they add a pleasing variety (one is in the second rank and thus largely out of sight). It wasn't quick doing the boots, perhaps 20 minutes a mini, but it'll probably get easier with time. I painted the coustilliers' armour to be less "bright." In the fullness of time, I'll probably add more coustillier types, and form a second unit out of the then-surplus knights (blended with even more coustilliers). I'll also mix in some knights in blackened plate, for variety, and perhaps a surcoat or two. I'm really pleased with them, it must be years since I (mostly) painted an entire unit.

Makes me wonder how the coustilliers might be armed when dismounted; perhaps light lances as when mounted, or swords? Or even the odd bow or crossbow?

Also makes me curious how they will do on the battlefield. I can't recall ever having used a dismounted knights before, in TtS. IIRC they cost 16 points (veteran later knights) which is a whole lot of points for an infantry unit, even one with a great save and choppers... 

I'm pleased to report that plucky underdog For King and Parliament is doing well in the Yarkshire World Cup- looks like it'll go through to the next round. 

2 comments:

DeanM said...

Great looking MAA/knights, Simon! Love this range from Perry. Always impressive to see your work. BTW, from your previous post, I've gotten into the habit of going back over stained flesh (Vallejo Flesh Wash) with a fine tip brush and add a highlight of flesh over the nose - sometimes the checks if there's room (helmet opening, etc.).

Peter Douglas said...

Looks good, you boots work well.