Thursday 30 March 2023

Phalanx VII - Making Basing

Here's the first shot of the Salute "Great Phalanx" forming up. It's a distinctly unflattering photo, but you will, no doubt, get the gist. The four regular phalanxes still lack their two front ranks, the last of the 192 of which minis I'm still finishing (but almost done!). I also need to fit 192 pikes and grout around the bases of ca. 350 minis. Then, if I can create a large enough space, I'll take a proper image in decent light.

Friday 24 March 2023

Salute VI - Last of the Phalangites

Here's a quick update on the Salute phalanx. I took delivery of the last required minis from Shaun this morning, and am hammering through highlights/varnishing/piking-up the remaining 288 phalangites, prior to the Big Base, which will be week after next, I hope. I'm highlighting them in batches of 48; just 3 batches left to do, perhaps 8 evenings work.

After these are finished, there will be the small matter of finishing the casualties and some new command stands to lead the formations. Early next week I'll post an image of what's completed, so far. I'm still on target for Salute, although it's going to be tight!

I still have some opportunities for players at Salute, in what is likely to be one of the largest (perhaps even the largest) Ancient Wargames ever to be run at a show. Drop me an email if you are coming and fancy playing To the Strongest! for an hour or two. 

In other news... I've just published v.12 of Even Stronger, the TtS! rules supplement. It's free, you can download it from here. 

Monday 6 March 2023

Salute V - all the Silver Shields

Here is a work-in-progress shot of my new Silver Shields. They will constitute the right-most two units of my "Great" phalanx. I feel very reassured now that I know, for sure, that the front ranks will rank-up acceptably. All of these minis were painted by Shaun McTague and highlighted/finished by me. Chum Ian flocked the bases. I still need to grout around the bases of the front rank minis, a filthy, time-consuming job that I will save for later. You can click the photo for a close-up.

The key to ranking up the front rank pikes was to mount all the pikes at the same, correct angle to the horizontal. To facilitate this, I made a template out of MDF, sticky labels and a spare pike. The Blu Tack holds it upright. Next, I bend the arms of all the front rankers so that their hands "hold" the template's pike. Then I remove the template. Finally I glue a pre-painted pike in place, having scraped away paint so as to ensure a metal-to-metal contact. It works really well, I can fit a pike or more every minute.

The phalanx as a whole is progressing satisfactorily and the other 8 units should be finished in time, so long as I keep plugging away every night on it. I'll show some WIP photos in a few days time.