Saturday 12 August 2023

To the Strongest! at Britcon ‘23



This weekend I’m at the Britcon tournament in Nottingham, kindly organised for us by chum Sid. After a refreshing pint of Britcon Ale and a natter, we launched into a warm up game, I played Robert Avery’s vintage Minifigs Imperial Romans.

Robert out-scouted me, and here is the view from behind his line. I was pretty despondent at this stage, because my camp (top left) was only lightly defended and my left wing had no one to fight!


Here’s the view of the backs of my army; mostly composed of reluctant (raw) guildsmen from the Low Countries.


Luckily I successfully made a whole slew of tricky diagonal moves and was across the battlefield before theRomans could get into my camp, which was surprisingly ably defended by a handful of scruffy crossbowmen, who turned the game by unexpectedly shooting down a cohort of veteran legionaries.


This (along with a shout of “Tax remission!” from the future Emperor Maximilian, who was valiantly leading a unit of dismounted Burgundian knights on the right) seemed to inspire the rest of the guildsmen in a general charge on the Roman camp. Poor Robert’s cards failed him at every turn; although most of the pike blocks were down to a single hit, he just couldn’t deliver the coup de grace to any of them.


…and finally I managed to kill the Roman general to take his last victory tokens. Luck had been with me at every turn of the game.

After the game we has a very nice meal at Wagamamas and put the world to rights! Should be a great weekend, nice people and a super venue with some great traders.

1 comment:

Ray Rousell said...

Have fun, I'm sure you will.