Sunday, 4 October 2009

Polemarch Thureophoroi


Despite my reservations regarding their relatively high price, I bought a dozen Polemarch Thureouphoroi at Salute, and Nick Speller has painted them beautifully for me. 

I replaced the Polemarch shields with Old Glory shields mailed to me by Allen, because I don't like the shape of the ones supplied with the minis.  Four of the figures in the unit are from the Foundry World of the Greeks range (also by Steve Saleh), which I think blend in extremely well.  The WotGs are numbers 1 4 and 5 from the left in the (clickable) front rank, and number 2 in the rear (below).


This is another unit that almost looks better from behind!  I think the new Polemarch figures are extremely nice...  I'd certainly like lots more.  However, where there are WotG equivalent figures, I'll have to use those because I can buy them so much cheaper on eBay (and because I have perhaps 500 hundred, unpainted!).  I'll be delighted to use the Polemarchs where there aren't, though, for the Successor cavalry, for example. 

Tomorrow I'll post photos of all 4 completed units of Thureophoroi.  All of these will be used as pseudo-Carthaginian militia, at Salute.