Sunday 7 February 2010

Renegade Velites

 
Here are 32 Renegade Republican Roman velites.  I've had them for a year or two; they were going cheap on eBay, and I couldn't resist a bargain.  However it turns out they do need considerable TLC.  Most of the shields fell off, because they have been glued on after painting; don't you just hate that?  

I'm painting them as "insurance" for Zama, in case Keith or Craig can't get quite enough Aventine velites painted in time.  I've given some red tunics so they will better match Keith's and Craig's minis.  They will look OK, when finished, in about a week's time I hope.

5 comments:

Thorlongus said...

why the differing base depths?

BigRedBat said...

Aha, good question. I either base them 2 to a 6x3 or 4 to a 6x6. The figures at the back on the painting discs will eventually join the other minis on the front bases.

The nice thing about the 6x6s is that you can position the figures very irregularly on them, in diamond shapes for example.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

These look quite good for an Ebay score. Not much to fix other than properly affixing the shields.

BigRedBat said...

Hi AJ, they are OKish; needed javelins re-attaching, too, which is a pain. I'm going to give them nice new shields and they should eventually look pretty good, I hope.

Consul said...

I do love the Renegade Velites - I have LOTS of these too. I only wanted a unit of the ones with wolf skins so I had to buy lots to get enough. Now I have lots without them too so I'll have to find a use for them somewhere.

I look forward to seeing them finished!