Saturday 6 February 2010

Elephants- Before and After

I've finished two more dead elephants, displayed here next to their live equivalents.  All the elephants are Gripping Beast resin; tidy little models.  I must say these are very nice products; very nicely sculpted; I wonder whether GB designed them for their own Zama project?  I picked up the two dead models at the Salute B&B for a fiver. the pair.  Bargain! 

 
 I've tried to make the dead elephants match live ones I painted two or three years back.

 
Transfers are LBMS, arrows are made from broom bristle.  I can make and fit an arrow inside two minutes!  Expect to see many more...

 
I tried to make the two models just a little different from each other, by adjusting the trunk position and adding a wounded crewman to the left-hand one.  I did a bit of retouching on the two live elephants I completed earlier.

4 dead nellies down; 2 to go!

9 comments:

Prufrock said...

You've done a great job painting them to match the live ones. You'd never know a couple of years had separated the sessions!

Cheers,
Aaron

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Prufrock! The new ones are a slightly different colour, but they won't be on the table at the same time, anyhow.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Perfect match! I don't think you need that many more arrows, 3-4 per animal looks 'just right'.

John Lambshead said...

I do like those.

Adam said...

Those are going to look great on the tabletop Simon. I have just based up my small contribution to the Numidian cavalry for our game. Inspired by your pictures I have stolen the random skirmish formation basing idea.
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/AdamPaulHayes/SOA%20Battle%20Day%20Zama/?action=view&current=Numidians01.jpg

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Adam, I like your basing. I've been thinking about adding clouds of "dust" (thinned-out hampster bedding) to mine.

ZeroTwentythree said...

Very nice. The wounded crew are a nice touch.

Andrew said...

I love these diorama-like dead elephants. Or did you say they serve a function in your games? Either way, they look great.

BigRedBat said...

Hi Andrew, they are largely decorative, but we are toying with making areas where multible units perish, turn to bad going.