Sunday 14 July 2019

Royal Dragoons WIP


I've been very busy painting and basing, recently, too busy to post very much, although I will catch up. But here is a WIP shot of the Royal Dragoons, for a future Sedgemoor project. They are North Star 1672 minis, very nicely painted, mostly by chum Steve Spence, although I couldn't resist painting a couple, myself. They are nice Copplestone-sculpted minis, with a fair few variants, and (very conveniently) North Star have recently begun to extend the range with some new dragoon command groups and rumours of Spaniards.*

I've decided to go with the dragoons as a 24-man unit which (at least for Sedgemoor) will operate in two halves, on the wings of the Royal army. I also plan to do the unit dismounted, with all 24 horses and horse holders. Raising a regiment of dragoons is a serious commitment, and not for the fainthearted!

*Some grenadiers in furry hats, with firelocks, would be a splendid addition, Nick  :-)

16 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Very nice!

Michael Awdry said...

They look amazing!

TamsinP said...

They do look rather pretty :)

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Looking great!

David said...

Another mammoth army underway?

Keith Massey said...

They look excellent!
Would they be suitable for use in the Williamite Wars in Ireland 1689 - 1691 and do you think they would fit in with Front Rank cavalry?

BigRedBat said...

Yes- another mammoth army begins. :)

Keith- the style of uniform is very close to the Front Rank uniforms*- the figures are just a little slimmer, but one could easily use them alongside each other in separate units. I like both ranges- I am dipping a toe in the Boyne, myself. Front Rank have a more complete range but 1672 are beginning to catch up.

*1672 minis have a slightly shorter sleeve and show a bit more shirt.

Keith Massey said...

Thanks very much for the helpful reply.

I'm just waiting for delivery of Michael McNally's book on Aughrim now��

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking unit of dragoons! Reminds me to paint mine for the ECW though!
Best Iain

moipasfou said...

Very nice looking, i love it

Andrew Brentna said...

All they need now is a couple of sheep, and they will be sorted! Seriously Simon, they look splendid, and I cannot wait to see the whole shebang finished.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Andrew! Next time we chat I have some ideas for how they might be tweaked for the Late c.17th...

William Stewart said...

I just love the 1672 figures and that is beautiful work!

I believe that Steve Selah took over sculpting this range when Mark Copplestone decided to move on. I'm not sure exactly where in the range this occurred but it is my understanding that Mr. Selah may have sculpted the cavalry.

BigRedBat said...

Oh that's very interesting, William. I'll ask Nick about it, when I get a chance! I'm also curious as to who is sculpting the new additions.

William Stewart said...

Thanks, I would like to know too.

Gonsalvo said...

Looks great, but 24 figures per unit- magnificent madness! :-)