Friday 29 January 2021

Switzers XII

I've been busy over Christmas/January on the Swiss Project, but haven't posted any pictures. Here's an update. Above are the troops painted so far- mostly by Shaun McTague, and finished by me, but including contingents from David Imrie.

I've planned 18 contingents of 32 figures, each representing a canton or part of a cantonal contingent, plus command, heroes and lights. So far 8 are finished, 5 are mostly done, 2 are partially done and three haven't been started. I estimate I'm over 70% of the way there.


The new contingents are forming up...


...I've done roughly 2/3 in cantonal colours, and 1/3 in random colours. That's probably too high a proportion cantonal colours, but they look great, and I don't care!!


I've prepped most of the minis for the final contingents, but they aren't yet off to Shaun to paint. The group at the back are those in non-cantonal colours.

There are also four command stands, 18 heroes, 70 light infantry and 10 light cavalry to do- perhaps half of these are painted. I hope to finish painting the pike by the end of February and, I suppose, there is a month's work to do on the lights. After that there's the grouting and flocking. But it's all coming along nicely! 

I've started to think about a huge To the Strongest! game at a future show using these, the most attractive option is Morat 1476, for which I'll need perhaps 450 Burgundians. :-/

8 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Looking good Simon!

Sprinks said...

These are really nice.

Millsy said...

They look amazing Simon. And a mere 450 Burgundians should be a doddle for you mate!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Millsy, it's not quite as bad as 450, as I have 150 already and the army could include an Italian contingent- I have quite a few of them, already, too. :-)

Friends Of General Haig said...

Wow. Pikemen certainly look better en masse ans these look excellent already. Looking forward to seeing the final army. Would be a terrifying sight coming towards you! 😳

BigRedBat said...

Yes 20,000 or so Swiss with pikes and halberds and a no-prisoners policy must have been deeply terrifying...

James Fisher said...

Looking great, Simon.
I did not realise that you had assistance—you are mortal after all, haha :)
18 x 32 figure-units is gonna look so impressive!
Regards, James

BigRedBat said...

Oh it's always a team effort here. Shaun paints far faster than me! And when it comes to basing, my chum Ian is much better with the flock.