Monday 26 August 2013

Rules Writing Retreat


Mrs Bat is on business in Antwerp, and I have two days in the Executive Lounge of the Hilton, to:-

  • finish an expanded version of my "To the Strongest" Lite Rules
  • sort out the deployment for the enlarged Thapsus Game, next Sunday
  • design a Caesarian campaign, set in North Africa, that is suitable for non-gamers

The Executive Lounge is very nice; unlimited coffee, beers and soft drinks, and food turns up from time to time.  There is a Happy Hour in the early evening.  The only downside is the Muzak, which is ghastly; at the time of writing a CD of Orchestral versions of Simon and Garfunkel is stuck and looping endlessly through the same line of "Rosemary and Thyme".  It could be a long 48 hours...

10 comments:

Raglan said...

I can see the headlines now - "The Bat goes mad in Antwerp following an orgy of free coffee, beer and an overdose of Simon and Garfunkel"

BigRedBat said...

Rosemary and Bloody Thyme has come round a second time! Aargh! And now it's Brighteyes!

GaryA said...

So the answer to "What do you want for Christmas?" is an iPod. It's a life saver!

Nursed me through supermarkets, public transport, a ballet performance and even the tedious bits of a conference . . . .

BigRedBat said...

Yes Gary; I may have to go out and buy some headphones!

Mercifully there is no piped music on the terrace, the WIFI works out here, the sun is out and I have a beer!

Counterpane said...

Sounds pretty idyllic to me. I'd want to pop out for some mussels and frites occasionally though.

Clogfather said...

Take yourself to Leiden. Should be pretty easy by train, and get a load of inspiration!

Paul´s Bods said...

Ha ha...I drove through Antwerp two days ago!! Didn´t hear the muzak though :-D Have fun :-D

Sidney Roundwood said...

Antwerp's a great town. Although "Bright Eyes" would drive me insane!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Indeed, Sidney. Today I have taken refuge on the roof terrace!

Jasper, didn't have time for Leiden, another time...

Prufrock said...

Hahaha; this just goes to show that every rose does indeed have its (musakal) thorn ;-)