Wednesday 31 July 2013

Please name my ship

I've more or less completed the first of 2 "Roman" ships for my Autumn display game (Thapsus).  This is the smaller of the two vessels, and is intended to be a small trade ship of the kind that might be found around the fringes of the Mediterranean sea, that might be pressed into use for transporting troops.
  
This is lightly converted from the 1/100 Zvezda "Nina" kit. Luckily, the Romans had lateen sails, so I was able to use the very nice one provided with the kit.  I cut away some renaissance features, and added steering oars.  I've given her some basic rigging, sufficient to pass muster on a  wargaes model, I hope.

I don't have a crew yet, so a couple of figures Andres painted for me are standing in, to give an idea about size. This pic shows the railings and stern-post I made for the stern, and the steering oars. I will later add a bow-wave and a wake.

Next time I will go with a lighter coloured wood for my vessel, but all-in all I'm cautiously pleased with my first venture into things naval, and Roman... 

I'm now looking for a suitable name for her; probably should be female, and likely of mythological origin; any contributions gratefully accepted! 

15 comments:

CelticCurmudgeon said...

How about "Bona Dea" for the good goddess? The "Lavinia" named after Spartacus' woman would be nice, too.
The amount of rigging seems right because you do not want it to interfere with the miniatures. I just picked up some Foundry Roman slave types, rebels obviously, who might do very nicely as crew. Some even have weapons that look like improvised tool.
Jerry
A/K/A The Celtic Curmudgeon

Sean said...

It looks great. I don't know anything about proper rigging so I definitely can't find fault with what you've done. I did notice a spot of glue on the stern that needs trimming or painting. And how about Salacia, Roman Queen of the sea for a name.

Dalauppror said...

Stunning work, I´m very impressed by you work, turned out very good !!!

Name suggestion: "Sophia" (Σοφíα, Greek for "wisdom")

But you might want a Latin name insted, like "sapientia" ;)

Best regards Michael

moipasfou said...

Great job, for the name, if the ship navigate on Gaule, why not "Damona". This is the name's wife of Apollon Borvo (gods of river in Charente for the roman).

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! Some good suggestions there..

Sean, the glue will be hidden by the wake- but I can't paint the wake until I've decided on the colour of the sea (and bought the paint!).

DeanM said...

Simon:

That is quite a marvelous work of art - like a fine museum piece. I saw it on FB too - wonderful.

Hmmm, as for a name, I don't know if this is grammatically correct, but something like Piscis Parvum? Little fish?

Best, Dean 3 theriour

Secundus said...

Beautiful as ever Mr M, very nice. Looks fantastic.

Paul´s Bods said...

That turned out really really well!!!
I´m not sure they did Name the ships...they called the fleets classis whatever, like classis africanus or Classis Sambrica but each ship?

Anyways..here´s one AETIUS probably derived from Greek αετος (aetos) "eagle" or Faustus ("Lucky")or Varius (Versatile)

BigRedBat said...

I think they did Paul; there are records of Greek ship with names. I'm less sure about evidence foe Roman ship names, but I bet they did it if the Greeks did!

Dmitriy said...

Concordia.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Name it "Impetuous" - would be appropriate for my style of play at least.

Ray Rousell said...

What about VESPERTILIO, its Latin for Bat!

Evan Hughes said...

Some modest suggestions;

Pomona, after the Roman goddess of fruitfulness; apropos of nothing in particular, but I've always liked the name!

Fortuna, after Sulla's favourite deity, and always useful in a crisis.

Amphitrite; sometimes the wife of Poseidon in Greek myth, depending on whom you read. Another goddess who gets nowhere near the fame she deserves.

Nereid, or 'Sea Nymph', common to both Roman and Greek myth.

Thetis, one of the more important sea nymphs and mother of Achilles to boot.

You could go with Tethys, although her status as a Titaness of the deep might better suit a larger and more bellicose ship!

Or you could try 'Aura', after the female divinities of the breezes; they are known for their billowing sail-like garments, so that could work nicely.

Hope these give you some food for thought! Bona fortuna1

The Lord of Excess said...

Wow that turned out amazing! Great posts on that project thank you!!

The Lord of Excess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.