Saturday 7 July 2012

Yet More Romans

2 more cohorts painted by Dr. Simon's mystery painter, who has handpainted all the shields, very nicely.  I'm going to do a little shading, weathering and paint the bases in an earthshade; hopefully basing, from tomorrow, in time for Greg's parade on the 17th.  These are going to be German cohorts.  Only one more cohors pedita remains to be painted after these, for the game... although I did buy enough BTD minis to complete one more cohort at a later date, in the sale, this week. 


Today I'm also basing the red-tunic auxiliaries- photos in a day or so.

11 comments:

roma912 said...

Great looking figures, looking forward to seeing them fully based.

What do you use for the painting bases, look like a good choice for holding.

Cheers,
Ross

BigRedBat said...

Hi Ross, they are counters from a game, roughly 40mm diameter by 3mm thick, with a magnetic backing. I'd think a couple of laser cut 2mm discs, stuck together, would work as well.

I don't know quite how many minis have passed across the 48 bases I have; perhaps 3000? Each has been used 50 or 60 times.

Cheers, Simon

Rodger said...

These are fantastic looking figures. Shields are amazing.

Paul´s Bods said...

He handpainted all the shields!!! That´s pretty good considreing the amount and the consistancy in design.
Cheers
paul

Paul´s Bods said...

Considreing..? I even checked my spelling before posting :-D

BigRedBat said...

He's a good old painter, he is. Uses enamels.

He's got 42 more cavalry from me, I'm hoping they are going to hack their way to the top of his queue!

Silver Whistle said...

The hand painted shields are top class. Yet another lovely unit to add to the collection.

BigRedBat said...

Hi SW, I've just slapped mud splashes all over them! Looking very good, they are.

Ray Rousell said...

Awesome looking figures! The shields are superb!!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks. By way of a postscript, all 48 of the minis are detailed, inked, highlighted and stuck on bases. Quite a successful day! Off to bed.

Anonymous said...

Looking lovely... especially the hand painted shileds (what a madness!)!

Mystery painter? I bet it is The Stick! ;-)