Tuesday 31 July 2012

Praetorian WIP


These proud (and clickable) guardsmen are half of the two Praetorian cohorts I hope to deploy at Partizan.  They were superbly painted by Nick Speller; I added the transfers and touched up the shields.  Hopefully Nick is beavering away at the command stands... when I base the second lot, I'll add the static grass.

Steve Saleh only sculpted a single pose of Praetorian, so the unit is necessarily very uniform!  IMHO this uniformity doesn't matter quite so much in the case of spit and polish guardsmen.

Courtesy of recent purchases, I should be able to deploy a couple more cohorts next year (and I'll certainly be buying the later EIR Praetorians from Aventine, too, when the standing poses come out).  Happily, a lot of Praetorian cohorts were deployed in 69AD...

5 comments:

DeanM said...

They look great; single poses for units like this make them look even more disciplined. Best, Dean

Anonymous said...

Looking good. BTW I did the same for my guardsmen (taking the standing at attention poses from all my Warlord boxes). The uniform look and standing in rows fits them quiet well IMHO!

legatus hedlius said...

If only Saleh had been able to finish this range....

they do look smart!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps, and thanks for the reinforcements, Stephen!

legatus hedlius said...

Glad to see them go to such a worthy home!