Friday 2 April 2010

A shwubbery!


My mate John Smillie has completed the olive trees that I have long coveted.  He made them  individually using sea-moss and wire, and I think they are far superior to the bottle brush trees I usually use.  I just need to paint the bases to match my terrain, and add some Sliflor.  He's promised to make me some Cypress trees, which would look very good with my Roman buildings, using the same method.  He's also making some haystacks...

This is the last weekend I have to finish flocking the terrain boards... should be busy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its all looking very good Simon and should look like one kick ass layout when all done.
Cheers Paul

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Paul! It's gradually coming together. Has taken so much longer than I anticipated...

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

That sea moss works well for foliage. Nicely done. I wonder, what does he use for the armatures?

Consul said...

Great looking trees! A triumph for model tree kind.

BigRedBat said...

Allan, there's a link to his blog on the post. There aren't really armatures per se; the trees are mostly sea-moss, bound in place with a fine wire. I think the cypresses, using the same method, will be brilliant; can't wait to see them!

Hi Consul! Can't tempt you to Bletchley?