Tuesday 25 April 2023

Ipsus Postscript


Here are some more images of Saturday's Salute game, taken during the course of play by chum Ian. The above shot is my absolute favourite shot of the game; quite possibly my favourite ever shot of a game of To the Strongest! Massed pike and elephants make for an exceedingly dramatic image.


The Gripping Beast scythed chariots looked spiffing!

Ian picked his moments carefully, snapping away during lulls in the action, missing out hands and playing cards.

This last one shows why I've moved to the deeper units for show games, they give a real impression of mass.


There's also a video showing the entire game, which I shot just before the players arrived.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped, the painters (mostly Shaun McTague but also Craig Davey), Ian for flocking, grouting and photos, and everyone who helped to run the game or talk to punters whilst I was running around like a headless chicken. Also Ian and Iain for helping with the setup and also Shaun and Rich who helped with the knock down at the end. The Warlords did a fantastic job running the show, which was one of the best Salutes I can  recall. They also gave us this trophy, which took me quite aback!


It was also super to see some of the other games, including the huge London Bridge skirmish game run by Seven Dials chums, the Friends of General Haig TYW, the big Leuctra, the Gustavus Adolphus 1:1 game and the dinky little Imjin River. Unfortunately I missed seeing any of the games in action, and got no photos at all. There were quite a few other games that I'd have loved to have seen in the flesh.

So what's next? I plan to run the same battle at the excellent Partizan show in Newark on Sunday May 21st. If you are coming and would like to play for a couple of hours, please email or message me and I'll book you in. We will run it in the AM, and again in the PM if there are enough interested players. It will be a little larger than the Salute version, since I intend to get a few more units finished.  :-)

In other news... there is a new version of the To the Strongest! Quick Reference Sheet available. There are some significant changes to Save Modifiers, and a few other useful tweaks. Also pick up the latest Even Stronger Supplement that came out last month, if you haven't already.

12 comments:

Anibal Invictus said...

WOW! period.

Bedford said...

It's just wonderful to see the sheer size of, not just the game, but the phalanx on both sides.

I dearly wish I'd been able to get down.

Superb stuff Simon.

Bedford said...

I should add, I'll be at Partizan and I'm dying to see the game in the flesh.

Prufrock said...

Simply superb, BRB! Cheers, Aaron

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Aaron!

BigRedBat said...

Bedford, you will see it- can even play if you want. :-)

Simon said...

That is a superb game. However Salute is not for me, I think it’s awful. I prefer Colours and Warfare.
Simon

rct75001 said...

That is the most amazing accomplishment - a huge gift to our hobby.

Richard

Counterpane said...

Wonderful as always, Simon! A well-deserved award.

Bartek Zynda said...

Well-deserved prize! Pike blocks look amazing!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks all! Too, too kind.

Friends Of General Haig said...

Seeing this game was one of my highlights of the show - truly epic! We were lucky to have our table close by so we could see what was going on over the day, and It was great to catch a few words with you. Can’t believe you’re making it even bigger for Partizan! :D