Friday 27 January 2023

New Year, new Phalanx


I've been working, in the background, on a new phalanx for my huge Ipsus game at Salute in April. This will consist of ten units, each 72 men-strong, drawn up in six ranks. Two of the units will be silver shields. Above are most of the new ones. There are roughly another 140 in progress, not shown above. Also not shown are 218 that are already finished and based. These can be seen below- the first two ranks with the angled pikes and roughly six ranks more of the ones behind them with vertical pikes in the further block.


I prepped all the minis and they are returning, painted, from painter chums. I'm fitting pikes and shields (where not already fitted). Next I'll need to do snagging, ink/varnish and assemble. Basing is going to be a bit of a nightmare, because of the sheer scale of the project, but I think it'll look imposing when complete. I should have enough time if I focus on the project.

The new pikemen will give me 4.8 linear metres of six-deep pike phalanx, which will be supported by a couple of metres-worth of six-deep hoplites.

I will need around a dozen players for the big Salute game, which I am confident will see the most pikemen ever deployed on a gaming table. If you are coming to Salute and can spare around 2 hours to play, please email me!

14 comments:

WimVdB said...

Madness I tell you. Sheer madness...

On the other hand, if I could, I would join for the game! It must look fabulous! But unfortunately, I can't make it this year.

Carlo said...

That’s such an impressive sight Simon.

pancerni said...

Wow, sure looks like a phalanx.

Happy Wanderer said...

Blimey!

That will be an unbelievable sight when arrayed on table.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Craig said...

Can’t believe no one has commented on this lunacy! 😂

Ernie said...

Just Wow

Codsticker said...

It already looks imposing!😮😄

Prufrock said...

Good luck, BRB!

fireymonkeyboy said...

You're a madman. Magnificent, but mad ;)

Chris Hahn said...

Surprised to see that no one has commented yet. It may be because they are all too stunned to put fingers on keys and type a coherent sentence.

What a spectacle.

Here's hoping your presentation of Ipsus goes swimmingly and receives a suitable amount of coverage (YouTube video, article[s] in wargaming press, etc.)

Cheers,
Chris

Matt Crump said...

An impressive sight 👍

Glasgow Warhog said...

yes i agree when you start to go above 40 figures on a paint run it gets a bit heavy. Best do smaller batches. I had the same experience with my ?Marines

https://youtu.be/j_l5PiYoTkk

Its also sore on the body.

Eric the Shed said...

that looks amazing - will try and pop by and say hello

BigRedBat said...

Thanks all- sorry it took me so long to post the posts! As you may have seen from today's post, I've been pushing hard to move the project forwards...