Friday 1 October 2021

Cheesy Indians at the London GT!

      

Last Sunday I took my Classical Indians to the London GT tournament. This is a massive event, mostly attended by Warhammer players, but also the largest tournament gathering of historical players. Above at the Warhammer players. The historical players were amongst those in the mezzanine (below), our players are in the second photo.


We had an odd number of players so I stood down for the first round which meant I had time to take a few mediocre photos, which I present in no particular order. I took other photos later in the event.


Above Gary Stark, and below his Seleucids. The latter were an interesting blend of Foundry and Aventine- these worked together very well- something I shall have to try! A superb looking army. 


Below, there are a lot of elephants in my army, eight units for a total of sixteen models. Half of them are shown here. In one game I lost ten elephant models.



Above Steve Dover popped over for a chat. In the game I shot the Seleucids up with my Indians, killing their great leader (Antiochus Megas?) and generally gaining the upper hand (whilst losing a few elephants), although not winning outright. Below, the view from behind my lines.



Above, weedy Indian archers desperately try to pincushion the Seleucid pike before they get skewered in melee. Below Gary vs Dene Green (Lusitanians)



Above John Lavender (Principate Romans) vs. Colin Bright.


Above Steve Dover (I'm Spartacus!) vs. Andy Lyon (Gallic). Steve's army was composed of hordes of terrible-quality troops, but was very effective in his capable hands- he did some clever things with his generals.

Below Martin Sharp (Classical Indian) vs. Simon Purchon (Principate Roman).



Above Derek Pearson (Batavian Revolt Germans)- at the end of my final game. This was the only game of the six that I've played with the army where my plan (an arrow storm followed up by a big attack up the middle) actually payed off- in large part due to playing some fantastic lucky cards. An elephant trotted into the Batavian camp with minutes to spare.


Tim vs. Simon Purchon. Tim had a very interesting Galatian army, including lots of naked fanatics. Simon was using Principate Romans.


Above Martin Sharp (the other Classical Indian army) vs. Colin Bright (Middle Imperial Roman).


Above Andy Lyons (Gallic) and Dean Green (Lusitanian), and below Derek Pearson's Batavian Revolt vs. Gary Stark.


Tim has taken some photos which you can see on the forum  Tim's photos

Here are the final scores.

1TimThompson528Galatian
2Steve Dover525Third Servile War
3SimonMiller465Classical Indian
4MartinSharp450Classical Indian
5AndyLyon445Gallic
6SimonPurchon438Principate Roman
7GaryStark297Selucid Imperial
8DerekPearson279Batavian Revolt German
9ColinBright259Middle Imperial Roman
10Dene Green255Lusitanian
11JohnLavender249Principate Roman

Congratulations to Tim Thompson and Steve for runner up! A huge thank you to the organisers of the event and Dave Ruddock from the BHGS, and to Tim who did the scoring. Above all, thanks to everyone who scoffed in the face of Covid, the fuel crisis and the Insulate Britain fanatics in order to participate!

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Looks like everyone had a great time?

Peter Clarke said...

Nice to see tournament's and shows happening again. Thanks for the report.
We played a Punic War game using TtS at Carronade which was well received, and there were many positive comments about the rules.

Chris Hahn said...

Very interesting and very pretty as well.

Comforting but also somewhat disconcerting to see "games as usual" again.

Well done on packing 3rd overall. Rather surprised to see the Galatians on top.

Sorry to read about your elephant losses in that one game. Tsk tsk ( or should I comment "tusk tusk"?)

Thanks for providing an update regarding your latest pursuits and adventures.

Cheers,
Chris Hahn

caveadsum1471 said...

Looks like great fun, sorry I missed it but I hope to make it next time!
Best Iain

fireymonkeyboy said...

Some gorgeous-looking armies there, and sounds like a grand day all-round.

ICM said...

Simon, as a COVID coward, I applaud you all. It looks fantastic, and I suspect this one may get into the regular calendar. Maybe by next year I'll be able to field a late Etruscan army!