Saturday 29 February 2020

Overkill!


I'm plugging my way through assembly and basing for Salute. Above are four Polemarch chariots that I've owned for a decade, and which have only just made it to the painting table, and below are four vintage Vendel chariots that I am in the process of refitting. All of the chariots were assembled by me and painted by Shaun McTague, who did a splendid job on them.

  

Above is a closeup of a Polemarch. These models are festooned with lethal spikes and scythes- they look really deadly, and the detailing of the cabs is excellent. Below, the vintage Vendels have far fewer sharp edges but retain a certain charm. I had to give one some Footsore horses. I still need to add scythes to two of the Vendels and whips to all eight crewmen.


So, I hear you say, why so many chariots, when they have a shorter lifespan than the mayfly? Well, there were 120 at Ipsus, so eight models doesn't seem excessive. Moreover, I already had them in the Lead Mountain. These are, of course, for my Salute Ipsus game, on which front I am making steady modelling progress.


8 comments:

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking chariots, they're mad and look like they were designed by GW! Great colour scheme!
Best Iain

Unknown said...

Ipsus in28mm worth going to Salute just to see this

Friends Of General Haig said...

The chariots look great and Ipsus in 28mm will be an awesome sight !

David said...

I prefer the look of the Vendel models myself, the others look a tad fantastical to my taste. Will the game appear at Partizans? I've given up on Salute, simply neither cost effective nor fun.

Michael Awdry said...

They look amazing!

Anonymous said...

Good God Man - You are a historical miniature wargaming machine.

A more reserved fan or follower might just remark that you are a credit to the hobby and one of our most admired celebrities or representatives.

Cheers,
Chris

Phil said...

Most impressive and beautiful chariots!

ICM said...

All right, Simon, that's enough. You are in danger in some quarters of being considered obsessive. In the meantime, can I have a game?