Thursday 28 April 2016

Bat basing part 1

With Raphia behind me (at least for the moment) I've been able to make time for another project which has been burning slowly in the background- my Perry Wars of the Roses army. 

I thought it would be useful to explain my basing system, using my new Bat Bases, which are MDF bases cut to an irregular shape with holes to fit rare earth magnets, which I use so that my minis can be safely stored and transported. The bases shown below are just a bit larger than Impetus bases and  designed so that seven can be stored in a 4L Really Useful Box.


Above, I am in the process of fitting the magnets to the bases. The easiest way of doing this is to lay the bases on waxed paper (or better still the foil parchment paper) on a steel tray. A strip of magnets can be seen on the middle bases- these drop into the holes on the bases. The bases should be weighed down with coins or similar to ensure they lie flat on the sheet. In the top picture, a dot of super glue has been applied to fix each magnet in place. The whole process takes rather less than 1 minute per base.


Once the glue has dried (allow at least half an hour) I chamfer the edges with a craft knife as above; this avoids the step one sees around most bases. It is possible to sand them, too, giving a lovely smooth edge.


Finally for today, the minis have been glued in place using PVA (Elmers glue in the US). This sets slowly and means that the minis can be moved around until a suitably aesthetically pleasing arrangement is achieved. These minis were mostly painted by Redzed, they are stunning and I'll take some proper close-ups when the basing is complete.

If you'd like to try some of the bases I have the sample pack on 25% off sale for this coming week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What size of base is this and how many 28mm figures will it hold? Where can I order please.

BigRedBat said...

Hi you can find those in the BigRedBatshop- that size takes 12-16 infantry minis, or 4-5 mounted.

Unknown said...

What is the base size or product code thanks. So I can order.

BigRedBat said...

Hi these ones

https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/products/bat-bases-standard-unit-size-1?_pos=33&_sid=dcc5818d0&_ss=r

you might like to buy the magnets, too

https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/products/bat-bases-rare-earth-magnets?_pos=1&_sid=c2b4c9432&_ss=r