Wednesday 20 January 2010

Bruttian progress...

I've been working on the big batch of 48 minis Greg sent me.  They now all have spears.  I've highlighted the feathers, skin and bronze armour.  I invented a new technique last night; to get shadows above the eyes,and under the rim of the helmets.  I used a wash of black ink in Klear, and then suspended all the miniatures upside down, under a magnetic sheet, as it dried.  My family looked at me as if I was mad!  (am I mad?) 



I've worked out that I need another 16 or so to finish what is turning into 3 units.  I may shortly be sending another begging email to Greg...   All these Southern Italians would fit in well with doing a Pyrrhic army, later in the year.




Above I've made a small start on painting 2 of the dead nellies.  To the left is a closeup of a couple of the Aventines Greg kindly painted for me; they are looking very nice!  They are destined for a command stand.

8 comments:

Consul said...

You're one crazy cat.

BigRedBat said...

Barkin'! :)

Jehan said...

You're really unbelievable !

What a pleasure for us ! ;)

Jean-Baptiste

Game Master Rob Adams said...

Hanging minis upside down is one thing but hanging them upside down because you are upset that they are not cooperating is another.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say what a truly wonderful site you have here and I shall be stopping by on a regular basis for inspiration.

Great stuff

Paul from Touching History

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

I've washed figures and let them dry upside down before. It's a great technique as the wash sits in the proper place for shadows. Good to see someone else come up with the same solution. I used blue-tack to hold the minis instead of magnets, but the magnet idea is a good one.

The Brutians are looking great. Makes me wish I did ancients in 25mm myself.

legatus hedlius said...

Really, really cool looking force!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks guys! I'm going to hit the matt varnish tonight...

Welcome Paul! If anyone hasn't looked at Touching History, it's a great new terrain Blog; inspirational stuff!

http://touchinghistory.blogspot.com/

Hanging minis upside down doesn't only help the wash stay in the right place, but ties in with the whole BatCave concept! ;-)