Saturday 3 November 2012

Mountain of Shame

Legatus Hedlius has bravely shown his mountain of unpainted metal miniatures, and I felt that, in the interest of disclosure, I should respond by showing (most) of my own.  The below are my unpainted metal miniatures storage areas.


Above is the core of the lead mountain; Foundry boxes, full of Foundry miniatures (mostly Copplestone and Saleh), on top of a bookcase.  I once suffered an avalanche, when a box at the bottom gave way under the weight; the aftermath wasn't pretty.  Perhaps 2000 28mm metal miniatures.

Below is the one of the foothills, on top of another bookcase, this time including quite a few Perrys, some lovely Foundry Saleh Persians, and a generous force of Aventines.  Perhaps 800 unpainted miniatures.


I almost forgot this next heap, on the right- here are more Aventines, A&A miniatures MIR Romans, and others, including some Native Americans (never going to get painted, those!).  Also in this pile are quite a few painted but un-based miniatures (oh the horror!).  At least 500 unpainted miniatures.

Finally there are the miniatures stored in the loft; I reckon that there are at least 1000 up there, that I can't fit in downstairs.  These include fantasy figures, a couple hundred more Foundry Romans, Perry metal Napoleonics and such forth.

In total I estimate that I have 4300+ unpainted 28mm metals (and perhaps 1000 unpainted Perry and Victrix plastics).  My unpainted miniatures actually outnumber my painted!

Oh the shame...

24 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Your not alone Simon! I'm pretty sure my unpainted lead outnumbers my painted by a good bit and I too have more figures then one human being should rightfully have!

I make a bird look like a tower of unbending resistance when something shiny is placed before it!

I'll try and post my drawers of shame sometime.

Paul´s Bods said...

Well, there´s only one thing to say..get painting :-D

Cheers
paul

PS..mind you..with 20,000 plus unpainted bods...I really can´t say anything

fireymonkeyboy said...

Nice! I suppose in the interests of fairness I should show my own pile of shame. I'll get a post up this weekend.

GaryA said...

I have no intention of surveying the lead mountain: that way lies madness. In know there are plenty of castings awaiting my attention, but that's a healthy position to be in in a recession. Besides your unpainted stash should outweigh your painted figures or you're not developing as a wargamer.

I'm happy with this.

legatus hedlius said...

Doesn't everyone have more unpainted than painted figures?

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

I'm to ashamed to post mine. You're in good shape compared to my mountain!

Handgrenadealien said...

Have you considered weighing these in, Lead is going for two grand per ton at the moment!
Look on the bright side though 4300 miniatures is at least ten years painting.
Regards HGA

BigRedBat said...

HGA, most of these I want to keep, but there must be some I could bring myself to part with!

I've just remembered that I have a couple hundred more I didn't count...

Counterpane said...

Holy cow! I feel most virtuous. Is it OK to quote your case to my wife next time this issue comes up?

Then again I haven't done a survey yet. I probably have an unjustifiable number of unpainted plastics.

BigRedBat said...

Richard, mention it to your wife, by all means, but please don't mention it to mine! :-) Simon

Broeders said...

eBay for the win!

Paul O'G said...

Not an unusual case at all and certainly no cause for shame - a badge of Honour in fact! Hold you head high in pride I say!

Foss1066 said...

Big Red- Your horde is so well organized, I prefer to think of it as an exhibit of sculptures.
Thanks for sharing!
Thomas

Millsy said...

Paul's 100% right. Well done Bat, you're my kind of guy! We should all stand up and be counted. I have... http://canisterandgrape.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/the-cupboard-of-shame.html

Cheers,
Millsy

Dan said...

I'm feeling your pain Simon, I'm lucky though, the majority of my stash is 15mm so much lighter then 28mm, I would have to have somewhere around the 10000 mark, I think it would take me a very very long time to catalog them.

Hobbyworker said...

As paul said...get painting ;)

Regards

Hobbyworker.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Millsy, that is quite a problem you have there! ;-)

Cheers, Simon

Galpy said...

Oh the madness that gripps us all or most of us, I've been making inroads into my lead pile, but i also have a lead pile that keeps being delivered for a friend to be painted it takes up most of a whole cupboard. keep up the great work you'll get there in the end maybe.
Cheers
Kent

John Lambshead said...

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

BigRedBat said...

Kent, I've never seen anyone else paint at the rate you do!

John, I'm toying with a fleabay sale to clear the decks (well, just a bit).

Cheers, Simon

Secundus said...

I dare not even go there with my mountain of shame. Thousands of 'em. Mind you I'm also running out of space with the ones I have painted...sigh.

BigRedBat said...

Wotcher Secundus; long time no hear!

You are welcome ot pass your surplus, to me. ;-) Simon

jmilesr said...

I too have a shameful pile of lead and plastic and am happy to admit so publicly. Unfortunately the risk of documenting such a claim with photographic evidence is very high in terms of spousal repercussions - are you guys mad?

:)

BigRedBat said...

jmiles, as you'll see from the photos, I have adopted a policy of hiding in plain sight. ;-)