Tuesday 20 November 2012

Jenga Phalanx



These are a continuation of a very old project, which is to build a Ptolemaic phalanx on a grand scale, for use in a grand re-fight of Raphia at Partizan in early June next year.

The plan is to combine these beautifully sculpted Polemarch Machimoi (Egyptian Phalangites) from Gripping Beast, with their Foundry equivalents.  I absolutely love the tall crested helmets, which I assume are based on the Sidon stelae.

When I started this project (over 2 years ago!), I made the mistake of using an Army Painter primer.  This provided a convenient base colour, but created a surface textured like fine grain sandpaper, which wasn’t at all good to paint over, and which put me off the project after I’d only managed to complete 30 miniatures (one shown in the link, at centre).  This time, I’m stripping the remaining primed miniatures and using my trusty can of Halford’s white.  The Jenga blocks are mounts for ease of painting.

I need an awful lot more of these miniatures to build a phalanx of the large size I covet.  If you happen to have a bag of these Polemarch phalangites, or the similar Foundry miniatures in the link, that you always meant to paint but never quite got around to, please drop me a line.  I’d be delighted to swap for them, or buy them off you!  

11 comments:

DeanM said...

I don't have any spares, but wonder how the two makes size up? Are GB bigger, no?

Dean

CelticCurmudgeon said...

Will these be mounted in phalangial blocks, close together? I noticed that on your last posting the hoplites would be spread out as their round bases would not permit shields to overlap.
I wish you well in this endeavor. It is always a visual stunner to have really large blocks of figures set up to play out a battle.
Jerry

BigRedBat said...

Hi Dean, I'm delighted to report that they are a perfect match in both height and style, being from the same sculptor, Steve Saleh, at the peak of his craft.

BigRedBat said...

CC, these will be packed very closely indeed- look out tomorrow for photos of the hoplites who are now removed from their round painting bases and based up, cheek to jowel, on 15mm frontage!

Paul´s Bods said...

How many will there be in the phalanx?
Cheers
paul

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, 528, although I may have to borrow some as the timescale is tight!

Cheers, Simon

Paul´s Bods said...

528!!!!! and there was I thinking putting 50 medievals into a spear block was a lot!!! I´ve got 5 greek and macedonian phalanxes of 48 figs per block (1/72nd) and put together it looks a lot but that´s less than half what yours will be!!! I really can´t wait to see this one come together...

BigRedBat said...

Well that's the plan, anyhow, Paul. ;-)

Tarty said...

youriina3Now that's a serious pike block. Look forward to seeing that.....wow ! GB and Foundry ?....not cutting corners either. They'll look spectacular.

Corporal_Trim said...

I look forward to seeing more of these, Simon.

I was a bit surprised to hear of your problem with the Army Painter primer though. I've been satisfied with it, although the greenish shade did finish smoother for me than the white.

Regards,
Steve

BigRedBat said...

Hi Corporal, I've had trouble with 3 or 4 different cans, mostly tans and browns, which seem to have especially poor coverage on metal in weather conditions where my other primers work fine. I've been reduced to stripping the minis. :-(

Simon