Wednesday 21 November 2012

Hoplites

I’ve finished basing the hoplites in my recent post, and rebased my existing Foundry “Athenian” hoplites onto larger bases, so that most are now in 8’s.  I boosted the total numbers by repainting my old Lunar Blue Dragoons (the minis with the tall crests), and mixing them in; they scrubbed up OK.  Economical, neh?  Upgraded the tuftage, too, to my 2013 standard.  'Ave a click.


I took the opportunity to very roughly split out the later hoplites with helms with separate cheeek flaps and Pilos, from those with the earlier Corinthian and Chalcidian helmets, and put them on separate bases.  The above unit has mostly earlier, and the below mostly later helmets, although purists will quail...  Later, I’ll build distinct units with corresponding shield designs, which became simpler and more abstract over time.


In a few weeks I plan to paint up 8 more Spartans.  That’ll give me 5 units of 36 hoplites, and two of 24, which will have to do for the time being, because I urgently need to start painting minis with rather longer pointy sticks.

16 comments:

Phil said...

Wonderful hoplites! Shields, beautiful, reflect the sun ...great work!

moipasfou said...

i am impressive by the work, very nice painting, beautiful shields....en français dans le texte "Wahou !".

fireymonkeyboy said...

Spiffy!

Broeders said...

They are bloody awesome! Great work.

Jonathan said...

Superb work as usual! Those look so amazing all formed up like that.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks all! Spartans to follow, in a few weeks time...

roma912 said...

Great looking figures and an outstanding unit. Looking forward to those with long point sticks and Spartans.

Cheers,
Ross

Giles said...

Very tasty indeed, Simon.

Best wishes

Giles

Tarty said...

Lovely stuff, and plenty of them.

les figurines de SPOCK said...

Magnificent and impressive

Silver Whistle said...

Both units look superb and the bases really set them off.

Tarty said...

What spears have you used on these chaps Simon ? are they Aventine ? .... their nice whatever they are.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks very much, all!

Tarty, they are simple metal pins, the apparent shaping just comes from the painting technique. I picked the technique up from the chap who I bought the first 20 hoplites from. I shall have to do a post on it!

A handy by-product is that the pins are relatively blunt, and have never drawn blood...

Cheers, Simon

Simon

legatus hedlius said...

Really excellent - maybe I should finish a few more hoplites with my next batch of Argonauts. Inspirational as usual!

Corporal_Trim said...

Simply splendid, Simon !

Schrumpfkopf said...

Ace-panting and nice big crowded bases - just how I like it.

Foundry - sweet as always.