Tuesday 1 November 2022

Second Mantinea at SELWG


The weekend before last I took the Second Battle of Mantinea (362 BCE) to SELWG, and I have finally found time to post the images! Above, that's me looming like mighty Zeus above the extra deep Theban phalanx. (All pictures are clickable).
       

Here's the deployment, with the Spartan/Mantinean/Athenian force (lower left), drawn up in front of the Pelagos Wood (where many of their soldiers were enjoying a late breakfast). The Thebans and Tegeans are at the top right. The battlefield is 3m wide.

Below is the deployment plan from my current scenario, which I will likely revise when I receive the Society of Ancients Battle Day pack for their event in March. It gives a super game!



Above is a photo of the Spartans, and below of some Thessalian cavalry from the Theban army.



Above are some peltasts (possibly ex Steve Jones?). It dawned on me, recently, that I don't have nearly enough peltasts, and I'm currently raising several more units. Few will be as nice as the above unit, though! Below is the rear of the extra-deep Theban phalanx (currently 6 ranks deep- I'd love to add another rank or two).



Here are a couple more shots of some of the Greek hoplites. These are mostly Foundry Athenians, lovely sculpts, beautifully painted by various people who are far more competent, than I. I'm planning to add another block this winter, from my "reserves" boxes. Below, the Spartans have been flanked and are in deep trouble!



I was always a bit doubtful whether hoplite battles would work well on a grid, but they certainly do! We enjoyed a couple of cracking games, both narrowly won by the Thebans, and each in under two hours.

Many thanks to Ian Notter (who took most of the above photos), Tim Thompson, Shaun McTague and David Millett who helped to run the game.


In other news, yesterday I published the latest quarterly release of the TtS! Ancient Army List eBook. This new release includes two new lists: Early Macedonian and Paeonian. I've also added historical backgrounds to the Illyrians, Huns and Gepid lists, and edited many of the other lists. There are now 160 army lists in the Ancient book, and 132 in the Medieval; when the next medieval release comes out, there might be as many as 300 lists in total.

Postscript- I've added a brief in-game video, here: 

6 comments:

WimVdB said...

2nd Mantinea is one of my favorite battles! I have played and umpired the battle under many different rules, but have to game it yet in TtS.
My extra deep 60 figs Theban phalanx is "under construction".

Ray Rousell said...

Crackin pics Simon!

Chris Hahn said...

A splendid spectacle of Second Mantinea! Well done and thanks for posting.

Hope you didn't impale your right arm on those various ranks of hoplite spears!

Two games on the day and a reasonable or amazing time for each? Impressive.

Certainly gives the participants for Battle Day 2023 something to model and or shoot for.

Cheers,
Chris

David said...

Super pictures there, showing some fine brushwork to advantage!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Excellent Simon, everything you seem to do is basically how all wargamers should aspire to. Well done.

Happy Wanderer said...

Brilliant Simon,

Looks like a cracking good battle. Good to see you doing some hoplite actions.

…I feel some big hoplite TtS! actions coming on myself 😉

Happy Wanderer