Sunday 26 May 2019

The Black Bands of Giovanni


This is my first proper Renaissance unit, representing the pike element of the Bande Nere of Giovanni de' Medici, as they might have appeared in the 1520s, after his death. Uniform details for his "orphans" are scarce, other than they wore predominately black mourning clothes. They are a sombre unit!

The superb black flags, with demons, are from Peter's flags on eBay. The minis are all Perry plastic mercenaries, painted by Shaun McTague, Richard Hampson-Smith and myself. I based them on my favourite wobbly-edged Batbase, the FK&P06, which I designed for the ECW but which turn out to be good for pretty much everything. I can field two of the elements on a 15cm grid, or all three on a 20cm grid.

Below is a shot including a command stand. I am currently raising the Bande Nere arquebusiers- I plan to field at least twice as many as there are pike. I am also sorely tempted to add a fourth rank of pike, and some mounted infantry.


I've no particular idea what I'm going to use them for, yet, but they are too good a unit not to represent!

18 comments:

David said...

Fine additions Simon. Pete's Flags are simply great for the period too.

Neil Scott said...

They look excellent

Daniel Moreno said...

Maravilloso!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Beautiful unit!

Gonsalvo said...

Great looking troops; the flags really make them stand out!

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Lovely Simon, Pete's flags set them off beautifully. Personally I would add an extra rank of pike just to give them a hefty look.For my band I stretched things a bit with some mounted arquebusiers. Well done.

Hendrid said...

Bank Band is a great place to start. Nice

caveadsum1471 said...

Lovely looking unit and of course set off with Pete's splendid flags!
Best Iain

BigRedBat said...

Thanks again chaps! Yes a 4th rank is almost as inevitable as death and taxes. :-)

Phil said...

Spectacular unit, superb!!

Ratmaul said...

Beautiful :)

Paul Scrivens-Smith said...

Lovely stuff Simon

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps- hi Scrivs!

Friends Of General Haig said...

That is a cracking looking unit - they look extra intimidating with all of that armour!

BigRedBat said...

They do look good; I have decided that they need a 4th rank, though! :-)

Marco Ortalda said...

Great miniatures

Baconfat said...

They're the best looking versions of those models I've seen.