Wednesday 13 February 2019

Celtathon III


Last night I decided to make a start on the main basing effort for Salute- the warbands. Here are the first six. These first units will be relatively quick wins because I'm re-basing my existing Celts onto larger bases- each unit will eventually have c.24 minis on the front base, and c.12 on the rear base- I've not yet put the rear rank miniatures on the base. The bases are from my 20cm set, the TtS!20F and the smaller TtS!20G that fits behind it. Since each unit will be on only two bases, they will be quick to deploy and easy to move.

The process is to slice the top layer off my current cardboard bases, carefully, with a sharp craft knife, and then stick this layer (grout and flock intact) onto the prepared bases (chamferred edges, with fitted magnets and primed).

Next I'll fill in the rear ranks and get another three units on bases. After this, the task becomes harder as I still have minis that need finishing and they are all singles. I hope that I will have enough minis to build 17 units, altogether- around 11' of frothing warriors!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol, your maybe the only person i've even known to refer to your figure collection in length, not numbers. 11 foot love it. Keep it up mate.

BigRedBat said...

:-) Length is useful- gives a rough idea how big a game I can put on. With these done, I should be able to look at the Sambre, for example.

Matt Crump said...

Great work Simon a labour of love rebasing 🙂

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Matt! More photos to follow soon.

Unknown said...

I've just used a length scale for my ever ongoing German army. Based on 4 ranks deep, and a fig (with shield) filling a 2cm frontage I think I have 10 meters, roughly 33 foot of Foundry ancient German Infantry. Excluding archer,youths and of course cavalry...I blame you!!!

BigRedBat said...

LOL Gordon- that has to be seen on a table.

Unknown said...

I'm 33x40 units painted (17 to do) and 21 of those based, but rudimentary. It's the shields which kill me. I started with high intentions of Little big man for the whole lot, but times a killer. So at some point i'm converting to the wicker ones....i've stacks of those! They are also obviously quicker. then all I need is a 33 foot table....and someone with a lot of Romans..know anyone?

BigRedBat said...

Most impressive! I'd struggle to field that many Romans, but have plans for a big Ceasarian rebasing in the next year or so. Might have 1500 or so of them...

Unknown said...

Germans are lower points value so they would have to out number the Romans. However I think I could bring about 1500 metals and another 4-500 plastics (seemed good idea at the time)

Why the rebasing though? what you changing too?

BigRedBat said...

I'm going for big scenic bases- 2 bases per unit of 36 minis. Easy to unpack and move on the table.

Unknown said...

18 per base is brave. Yep easy to unpack, no idea what move on the table means though. I'm still looking that one up. Good luck and enjoy.

BigRedBat said...

What I mean is that one is moving two elements, instead of 6 or so, so it's a lot quicker.

Unknown said...

Lol Simon. I'm aware what you meant, it was a jab at me avoiding all things rules based as well as having huge collections and never gaming with anything. Appreciate Northern humour gets lost with communications with Southerners.