Friday 11 October 2013

Legio X Equestris


Legio X Equestris were one of Caesar's small group of elite legions. They picked up their nickname when their legionaries provided Caesar with an impromptu mounted bodyguard for a parlay with the German King Ariovistus.

I've just extended this (extremely clickable) elite cohort, from 2 stands to 3, with the help of painter mate Andres. It is built around a dozen figures that I picked up in a swap with Andres (mostly on the left), with my less well painted dozen miniatures (mostly on the right). Andres recently painted another 10 stunning shields for me so that I could finish the unit. The shields are little gems, and I love the small variations between the designs, just like a real unit must have had.

They will be in the thick of the fighting in my Thapsus game at SELWG on Sunday.  If you are comingalong, why not sign up for a couple of hours military service?

11 comments:

Matt said...

Spiffing unit! The shields are wonderful too.

Can't make SELWG but hope it goes well. See you at another show in the future I'm sure. :o)

Matt

Paul´s Bods said...

Blimey, those look nice!!!

Mike L. said...

These look amazing!

Phil said...

Fantastic!

Corporal_Trim said...

More stellar Romans, worthy of Legio X. well done, and I can't see a difference in standard of painting, left vs. right.

Regards,
Steve

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Hi Steve, the ones on the left have detailed faces, eyes, teeth etc. I couldn't hope to do that, so mine are just shaded and washed. Closeup, Andres legionaries are in the same league as his Caesar!

Best, Simon

roma912 said...

Quality! Great looking unit here.

Cheers, Ross

Cyrus said...

Cracking Legio X!

Tarty said...

They look fantastic Simon.

BigRedBat said...

Cheers chaps! Simon

Foss1066 said...

Not only are the paint jobs great, but how you gotten so much "action" with just a few simple poses really brings it over the top!
Also, great photography.
Cheers
Thomas