Friday 5 October 2012

Coh. V Dalmatorum


This is the last cohort of Romans I'll produce for a while; they are an auxiliary cohort I started just before Partizan, that I wanted to wrap up.  They are a bog-standard unit of auxiliaries of Dalmatian origin, all Black Tree miniatures, and, for once, almost exclusively* painted by me!  This is one of my favourite LBMS auxiliary shield designs.  As ever, pics are fully clickable.

They are my 15th auxiliary infantry unit and I now, albeit temporarily, have more auxiliaries than legionaries (something that very few wargamers can say!).  Once I have based one final auxiliary cavalry unit, I'll have hit my resolution target of 60 double elements of auxiliaries (414 minis), and I'll be able to move on to expand the legions.  I do prefer to paint auxiliaries to legionaries, though, I find them more varied and interesting.



*Three of Legatus Hedlius command figures crept in

12 comments:

WarRaptor said...

Those look great. I love your painting style with ancients!

Paul´s Bods said...

Very nice paintjob Simon
Cheers
Paul

Jonathan said...

Your Romans are a true inspiration for my ancient armies!

Silver Whistle said...

Your brushwork is top notch, these look superb.

Michael Awdry said...

These look stunning, great work Simon.

Secundus said...

Lovely work as always Simon. I am very jealous.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps, I was a bit concerned that yet another unit of auxiliaries might be a thought a bit ho-hum, I'm glad you like them!

Simon

legatus hedlius said...

The green colour scheme works really well on these.

Tarty said...

Lovely work Simon as usual. This army must be looking amazing on the table now.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Jay, a good looking site! Will follow your Brits in particular, very interesting to see your method. Cheers, Simon

DadExtraordinaire said...

I love these, beautifully executed. It makes me cry when I see mine comapred to these, although to be fair I did paint mine when I was 13!

Which means I need to paint up my GB purchases some yeasr back still in lead pile status awaiting undercoat....any hints of whcih colour undercoat to use Simon?

Great blog by the way!

BigRedBat said...

Hi D.O., I vary the undercoat according to what I'm painting. For chain, I usually go with black, because I don't want any "windows". White or grey work very well as undercoat colours. A tip I picked up off Simon MacDowall, is to wash the white or grey with a very thin coat of burnt umber, which brings out the detail, prior to putting the base coat on.

Cheers, Simon