Saturday 16 June 2012

Gordon Bennett!

This week people keep sending me pictures of their minis, which are invariably far better painted than my own;  it's becoming a positive curse.  ;-)

Today's minis are beautifully painted by Gordon Smith, and are from the new Aventine EIR Range for the Marcomannic wars.   Gordon took the pictures, too.  The shield designs are LBMS (specially re-sized by Steve from the ones for the A&A range).  All pictures are clickable.


Below is the full unit.  Gordon has wisely gone for 60mm deep bases as the Aventine's are in particularly animated poses.


I love the mini below with the crested helmet.  There are a very large number of helmet variations in this range.


Gordon deliberately went with a very grubby "or campaign" style, a good call!


The below pic shows how animated the minis are.  I usually go with very static poses, but the below looks brilliant!


And now, all together.


I also have bought enough minis for a couple of units of these, but they are resting in a box whlst I finish up basing all the BTD minis that have been painted, and rest in storage.  And yet, these minis are several orders of magnitude better sculpted than the BTDs; I really should get on with them! 

16 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Don't feel bad. Those minis are better painted than most of us could do.

Paul´s Bods said...

I agree with John..they are of a very high standard. The one with the crested helmet...optio or tressarius?
Cheers
paul

Paul´s Bods said...

or was it tessarius? --i can never remember...

Ray Rousell said...

They are some top notch figures!!!

Schrumpfkopf said...

brilliant unit. Those Aventine miniatures really seem very nice.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Gordon indeed did a nice job!

Christopher

Michael Awdry said...

My word they really are top quality! Splendid work indeed.

Dan said...

Thats a brilliant unit, the painting and layout are just brilliant.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps, they are nice, aren't they!

Simon

Willie Anderson said...

Great work by Gordon on those figures.Best finish the BTD figures first (which are very nice imho) if you change to the Aventine figures you may not go back!!

BigRedBat said...

Willie, you are not wrong... my problem is indeed that I still have 160 or so BTDs and 160 or so Foundry minis that are planned into my 69AD army and which I'm very reluctant to pass over, as I may never get back to them again. Too many minis, such little time...

Cory said...

Those are top shelf figs!

Happy said...

I'm nearly finished another unit of 24 (18 done) but these ones are converted Aventine Legionaires, but with the crested helmets like the ones on the Praetorian Guard fig. I would have had them done today, but lights poor up here today. Should have them done mid-week if anyone wants to see them?

BigRedBat said...

Yes Goordon, please do fire them across when ready!

Cheers, Simon

Cyrus said...

Brilliant figures and brilliant painting!

Tarty said...

ooooooooh...... their nice !