Wednesday 11 January 2012

A Shwubbery

A big box arrived from my Scottish mate John Smillie just before all my relatives descended upon me at Xmas, and I have finally, belatedly and guiltily, got around to opening it.


John packs his models extremely carefully, in polystyrene, and these trees arrived in tip-top shape.


There was a whole forest in the box.  The trees are on twisted wire trunks, and mounted on pennies.  I'll mostly use these as fruit trees, I think.


My favourite is this lovely stand of trees with multiple trunks.  Thanks John!  If anyone wants any reasonably-priced, top notch trees drop me a line and I'll forward it to John.  Now John, cypresses....

I've not been posting here because (since Xmas) I've recently been posting on my other blog.  Don't worry, I will be back to ancients, in due course, once I've finished basing some of the other Napoleonic stuff that is nearly finished.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested. What types of trees are available?

Dan said...

Those are excellent trees. What scales does he do? I would be interested in pricing.

BigRedBat said...

Hi Rob and Dan, he does prety well whatever he fancies doing; quite versatile. I mostly buy olive and other smaller trees off him (also sometimes custom buildings and haystacks). Drop me an email at the address on the front of my blog, and I'll forward to him.

Cheers, Simon

John said...

Those are nice. Are they commercial wire armatures and clump foliage or am I mistaken? And eyeballing it, they are mounted in pennies, so roughly double the height of a 28mm figure?

-john

PaintPig said...

Ni, I like the laurels in particular.

Very nicely made bit of green, must look into it.

BigRedBat said...

Hi John, I'd estimate 60-80mm (lauyels taller). Clump foliage, but Johns own armetures I believe.

Laurels, yes the row do look laurel-lke with the multiple trunks!

Cheers, Smon

Rodger said...

Wow!! These trees look amazing.

Caliban said...

Good stuff, Simon. Do say hello to John for me; haven't seen him for a while. Tell him we miss him at the club in Glasgow!

BigRedBat said...

Will do, Paul!

Simon

Geminian said...

Hi all, and thank you for your comments, and for John, I make my own armatures while watching TV after which I solder them all over to make them stiffer, and finish off with clump foliage and scatter.

Sanguemarcio said...

Great... I love these trees!!!

Neil Scott said...

Those trees look fantastic

Paul´s Bods said...

Very nice...twisted wire attached to pennies? Does he do them in 1/72nd??
Cheers
paul

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, yes would be perfect for 1/72nd. Local supplier!

Simon

Larry Stehle said...

Where is the herring? Nice trees!

RazorOne223 said...

A nice box of shrubbery you have there. Evey need shrubbery...lol

Cheers

Eric

Iowa Grognard said...

This is some great trees. I've been at odds with my own attempts at producing similar results.