Friday 16 December 2011

I Aduitrix; Finished at Last!


I've finally completed my I Adiutrix (assistant, supportive or rescuer depending on who you read) legion.  This force was hurriedly recruited in 69AD from the marines sailors of the Roman fleet at Misenum, and fought bravely at Bedriacum, and later in Germany.  I’ve read that many of the sailors may have been of Egyptian origin.   Do, please, have a click!


This is the first of my new, smaller legions, of 80 figures in 10 x 8 man cohorts, although it can also be deployed as three 24-man cohorts, for smaller engagements.  I’m going to split my 240 man legion down in much the same way, and next spring hopefully paint another 80 man legion (perhaps even XXI Rapax, that gave Adiutrix so much trouble).  Once I have 6 or so legions, I’ll be able to start to think about re -fighting the larger battles of the civil war, or my long-threatened Roman campaign.

The Legate, Orfidius Benignus, was killed in the fighting at first Bedriacum, in 69AD.  I like the expression this mini (Below) has; it says arrogant patrician, to me.


I’ve used as many Black Tree Miniatures as possible, but ran out of command figures and so used some Crusader and Foundry to add a little variety; they fitted in surprisingly well. For the same reason, I did some head-swaps and a little light conversion work on the legionaries. I’ve given them a varied selection of legionary and auxiliary gear, shields and weapons, as befits a legion newly raised in time of civil war.  There are 3 optios in the rear ranks.


I have developed quite an affection for BTD; they paint up nicely.  They are relatively cheap, too (but alas, not nearly as cheap as they used to be).

26 comments:

Adelaide Gamer said...

You're right about the expression of the legate, "*&%!!F$ those heathens", indeed. Very nice looking legion, they look great en masse.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks- "&%!!F$ those Vitellians!" ;-) Simon

Handgrenadealien said...

Despite my lasting ambivalence to all thing Roman these do look really good. The blue shades are very Mediterranean.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful batch of ancients! Each man is individual, but the blue on the tunics and shields ties it all together VERY nicely.

Well done!

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Really great and blue just really stands out!

Christopher

Jay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jay said...

Your Roman troops are almost too nice to send out into battle. Great job, Sir!

RazorOne223 said...

Damn those are great!!! They are some of the best Romans I have seen to date. very good work...

cheers

Guidowg said...

Great results, your Roman production line never ceases to amaze me. Excellent yet again.

rhingley said...

Excellent work. I am a bit partial to Black Tree for some lines as well. The scope of an 80 man unit just blows me away. Bravo!!

DeanM said...

Another fantastic looking unit, Simon. Love how you used different shields, yet with the same designs they blend in so well; adds to the realism. Best, Dean

Sire Godefroy said...

Simply admirable. That's a lot of serious, yet very nice work.
To see all those Romans amassed on a table must be an impressive sight, to say the least.

Cheers
SG

Rodger said...

Absolutly beautiful!!

BigRedBat said...

Thnaks all! I'm very pleased with the way they came out. I think I'll use different shaped scuta, whenever I can, with Romans.

Cheers, Simon

Paul´s Bods said...

Bloody lovely!!!!!! Another great unit.
XXI RAPAX...one of my favourite legion names...I called my legion RAPAX... but didn´t they have black Scuta???
Cheers
paul

Cyrus said...

They look fantastic Simon - really impressive unit with great variety.

Dalauppror said...

Exelent work !!!!

Best regards Dalauppror

Caliban said...

Fantastic work again, Simon. I'd live to be able to do a Roman civil war as well...

Counterpane said...

Gorgeous! Must resist buying more Romans.

Galpy said...

Man these lads have come up a treat love the blue actually just love everything about them
Cheers
Kent

Grégory Privat said...

as usual... !

BigRedBat said...

Thanks again, all! Romans alway fight their way to the head of the queue.

But now I must take a Napoleonic break...

BodPaul, I don't believe there's a lot of evidence for Roman shield colours of specific legions; would love to hear anything... The LBMS dark grey transfer set, that Dave Imrie recently used, look very good...

Simon

Giles said...

Splendid work, Simon. A magnificent unit!

Best wishes

Giles

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Giles! Loved those French you painted, with the 'taches...

Curt said...

That looks awesome, Simon - well done! I find I'm the reverse of you: I'm just starting my foray into Ancients from a very long and loving stint in Napoleonics. No idea on ruleset yet (perhaps Hail Caesar) but the figures will be Germans, Britons and EIR.

I will be looking through your blog for inspiration!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Curt, HC are pretty good rules. Watch out for the Aventine EIRS, that should be a great range! Will look forward to seeing the ancients, and would be happy to swap ideas...

Cheers, Simon