Wednesday 18 September 2013

Society of Ancients

At Colours, I ran into the Society of Ancients stand, again.  The SOA (particularly Phil Steele) work tirelessly to publicise the ancient end of the wargames hobby.  Here's a shot of the portable Bosworth demo game they were running at Colours.  I would commend you to join, if not already a member, as there's often something of interest in Slingshot.  Not to mention, on a more mercenary note, the discounts that they have arranged with various figure manufacturers and other organisations... 


Phil showed me some of the lovely old Tony Bath flats that Phil Barker has passed to him, and which he is restoring, but I sadly forgot to photograph them.   He also kindly introduced me to John Curry, who is running The History of Wargaming Project, which is about creating an archive of wargaming records, books and other materials.  Something to think about in the future...

3 comments:

DeanM said...

Marvelous looking terrain and figures.

legatus hedlius said...

I used to be a member of the SOA but all the cliquey sniping in Slingshot got me down after a while. An estimable organisation nonetheless.

BigRedBat said...

Not too snipey, recently.

I value it for the odd academic article that comes through. Also, there was a very good piece, recently, on wargames rules, right up my street!