Thursday 29 August 2013

Beach II


This is the sea flank for Sunday's Thapsus game.  The unfinished beach is at the back, and the sea darkens as it gets deeper, and is lighter near the shore as it shelves up to the beach.   I'm in the process of coating it with many layers of Gloss Acrylic varnish.  I'm hoping this will work almost as well as Yacht Varnish, without the strong smell of the latter, as I need to apply it indoors.  Seems to be working so far; it's starting to look "deeper".  I've also made a couple of darker-looking river boards, for use on the swamp flank.

I also finished the final reed-bank section last night, so they are good to go.  In fact I find myself quite close to being ready for the game...

(Note to future-self- the sea is Crown Matt emulsion Laguna Bay Feature Wall, shaded with a little Dulux Sapphire Salute, and Buff Titanium near the shore.   On the river boards I mixed in some Dulux Enchanted Eden and Brown Umber, and a little Army Painted Strong tone in every coat of the varnish).

6 comments:

legatus hedlius said...

That really floats my boat...I hope!

Lovely colour!

BigRedBat said...

It is even brighter, in the flesh...

Willie Anderson said...

looks great Simon!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Willie!

Simon

Sire Godefroy said...

Yep, captures the beauty of the Mediterranean quite well. Would go for a swim there. ;-)

Cheers, SG
mountainsoflead.com

BigRedBat said...

Finished the beach last night; looks good enough to sun-bathe on!