Sunday 3 February 2013

Starburst

No, not the confectionary (which I still think of as Opal Fruits), but half of the shields I need for the Egyptian portion of my phalanx, mostly with the classical Macedonian starburst design (clickable).  The concept is that these are cheap wooden shields covered with felt (or perhaps locally available Egyptian linen or cotton), with designs painted on, for the cheap, emergency, wing of the phalanx.


I've used the excellent Little Big Man designs, from two different sheets, and painted some plain white shields to go alongside them.  I've distressed them, somewhat.  I think the black and alternate red designs give a nice variety to the designs, and Steve of LBMS has very kindly offered to make up a new sheet for me.  I'm about 10 days away from basing up the next 2 units.

I love putting on shield transfers, I find it very relaxing.

8 comments:

DeanM said...

Nice group of shields - varied, yet uniform enough for a unit. BTW, have you ever tried VVV decals? They make those red (as well as white & black) stars too. Best, Dean

BigRedBat said...

Hi Dean, yes I use VVV too, including their starbursts, on occasion. Very handy.

Handgrenadealien said...

Very nice indeed. Weathered shields always sit well on a unit.
Regards HGA.

Craig said...

You find putting transfers on relaxing??! I'll send you mine!

BigRedBat said...

Craig, yes I really do like that aspect of modelling, I'm good at it and the transfers deliver great results. I enjoy doing big batches of them!

legatus hedlius said...

Your picture looks rather like the sort of art you sometimes get in five star hotels of the trendier sort.

I hate doing shield transfers and mess up at least fifty percent of those I do! I have no hand to eye co-ordination whatsoever!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Stephen, when I go on holiday I take a dozen or so sheets of transfers away with me, and sit by the pool, cutting them out! :-)

Tarty said...

Looking good, nice subtle uniform effect.