Tuesday 9 October 2012

Chariot frames


My chariot project is proceeding slowly.  Above are the primed frames and wheels.  You may just be able to make out that I've added javelin quivers and severed head tropies to some of the frames.

I used an Army Painter primer on these, and it gave a very grainy finish, with the paint adhering particularly poorly to the metal parts, such that I can rub it off with my fingers.  Other minis I primed with Halfords sprays in the same session, were perfect.  This is far from the first time that I have had trouble with AP primers, and, despite the convenience of being able to prime in their useful base colours,  I won't be buying any more.

The horses are also primed, the bases made and the charioteers are off with Nick to be painted, so this project is, gradually, coming together.  I'd have got the chariots assembled if it wasn't for an incursion of Gothic intruders (of which more anon).

6 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

AP? Dump it and go back to the trusty halfords primer.
For some reason the chariots stacked like that look like an art installation. :-D
Cheers
paul

PS...WD3..gone or just crashed?

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, I was toying with "Elephants Graveyard" or "Junk Yard" as alternative titles!

I gather WD3 will return, it's just takign a while for the server to be fixed.

Cheers, Simon

Paul´s Bods said...

That´s it!!!..elephants graveyard..that´s what it reminded me of.
I´m having WD3 withdrawal symptons...no news about the sexual practices of hobbits and llamas can hit a man hard :-D
Cheers
paul

Curt said...

They are coming along very nicely, Simon. Well done! I look forward to seeing the final product.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Curt. It'll take a while because I've a few projects running in parallel...

Cheers, Simon

Matt said...

Very artistic!

I've had the same problem with AP sprays. So have dumped them. The anti-shine varnish is totally #@&*%!

Looking forward to seeing your finished chariots.

Matt